Coinmama, a cryptocurrency exchange platform, offers a fast and safe way to purchase and sell most of the most popular cryptos. Founded in 2013, it was the first exchange platform that allowed purchases with a credit card.
Because of its easy-to-use interface, it’s great for beginners. It is easy to purchase crypto using fiat currency (paper money), which then goes directly into your personal wallet. This gives you full control over your funds. You will also find attractive features like multiple payment options and high spending limits.
This review will provide a basic overview of Coinmama. Continue reading to discover if Coinmama suits you.
Before you go on, you may want to check out this video by Bitcoin Made Easy on YouTube that gives a quick review. Afterward, you will want to read the rest of the article for a more comprehensive review of Coinmama.
Pros 2 Step Verification Coinmama
- It’s simple and straightforward to use
- offers access to 10 of the most popular cryptocurrencies
- buy and sell crypto instantly with credit and debit cards
- variety of payment options
- High spending limits
- higher transaction fees
- Only 10 cryptocurrencies supported
- No built-in cryptocurrency wallet
- no crypto-to-crypto transactions
What is Coinmama?
Coinmama gives you access to 10 cryptocurrencies, including major and less-known coins. These cryptocurrencies include Bitcoin (BTC), Bitcoin Cash(BCH), Ethereum (ETH), Dogecoin (DOGE), Cardano (ADA), Litecoin (LTC), Ripple (XRP), Tezos (XTZ), Chainlink (LINK) and Uniswap (UNI.)
Coinmama allows you to buy cryptocurrencies using fiat currency, which is sent directly to your personal wallet. Coinmama accepts USD, EUR, GBP, CAD, AUD, and JPY as fiat currencies.
Coinmama allows you to buy as little as $30 and sell as much at $100.
Buy transaction fees can be as low as 2.38% or as high at 3.83%. Sell transaction fees range from 0.91% up to 1.87%.
What’s great about Coinmama
Simple, user-friendly platform
If you’re a beginner to the world of cryptocurrency, then you might have experienced being overwhelmed by the complicated charts and data in other exchange platforms.
Coinmama simplifies the process with its simple interface and design. Even if you don’t have any experience with crypto, anyone can buy it.
Once you set up an account and get verified, purchasing on the platform is a pretty straightforward process. Transactions are processed within days after payment has been made.
Buy and sell crypto instantly
Coinmama is the fastest way to buy cryptocurrency. Coinmama is different from other cryptocurrency exchanges, which require you to first deposit fiat currency before you can purchase crypto. You can choose the crypto you wish and then pay at checkout just like any other online shopping experience. The crypto will then be sent directly to your external wallet.
When selling crypto, you simply transfer funds from your external wallet to Coinmama, then the funds from the sale are sent directly to your bank account. This transaction flow is simple and saves time, making it more convenient for users.
Variety of payment options
You can pay with credit cards, bank transfers, debit cards and Apple Pay. Coinmama is the first cryptocurrency exchange to accept credit and debit cards. This is in contrast to other exchanges that do not support card payments. Digital currency can be purchased with any Visa or Mastercard debit or credit card, or Apple Pay, SEPA bank transfer in Europe, SWIFT in the U.K., or wire transfer (outside of Europe and the U.K.).
Coinmama has a loyalty program that allows you to take advantage of lower rates and save money. The fees will be reduced the more you sell or buy over a 90-day period. We will talk more about Coinmama fees later, but for now, these are the three loyalty levels.
- Crypto Curious – the initial level for all new users.
- Crypto Enthusiast – you reach this level when you’ve made a minimum cumulative purchase amount of $5 000 USD over a rolling 90-day period. The fees for buying transactions have been reduced to 3.34%, while the selling transaction fees have been lowered to 3.41%.
- Crypto Believer – Buying fees have been reduced to 2.86%, and selling fees are now only 2.93% if you have made cumulative purchases of $18 000 USD in a rolling 90-day period or more than $50 000 USD. At this level, you can save 25% on the final price of crypto.
Coinmama lets you spend up to 30,000 dollars at once, which is more than any other cryptocurrency exchanges. Coinmama is different from other platforms. You can have issues buying large amounts of crypto in other platforms but not in Coinmama. Your personal limit increases as you make more purchases on the platform. Your verification level determines your personal limit. These are the verification levels.
- Level 1: Monthly buy or sell limit is $15,000 over 50 orders.
- Level 2: Monthly buy or sell limit of $50,000 for 50 or more orders.
- Level 3: Monthly buy or sell limit is $100,000 over 50 orders.
The Downsides of Coinmama
Transaction fees are higher
Compared to other crypto exchanges, Coinmama’s fees are higher at 3.81% for buying and 3.90% for selling. However, you can take advantage of reduced rates through their loyalty program. The fees go down as you purchase more crypto on the platform.
No crypto wallet
Coinmama does not have a crypto wallet that you can use to store your coins. Coinmama will only send your coins to an external wallet you have. To store the cryptocurrencies that you purchase, you will need to create your own wallet.
You can easily find an online wallet through a third-party provider. Upon purchasing or selling on Coinmama, you simply need to share your wallet address, which is a string of numbers that serve as a “public key” for your wallet.
This is great because Coinmama does not store your funds, or your payment information. This means your funds or personal information aren’t available on the site to be hacked. To avoid having your funds sent to the wrong address, be sure to enter your wallet address carefully. Since transactions on blockchain are irreversible, Coinmama won’t be able to retrieve your funds in case of a mistake.
There are no crypto-to-crypto transactions
Coinmama doesn’t offer crypto-to-crypto trading, which means you can only use fiat currency such as USD or GBP in order to purchase crypto. Also, it doesn’t allow trades between sellers and buyers. All cryptocurrencies sold are from Coinmama’s inventory, so the transaction is purely between you and the company.
Limited number of cryptocurrencies
You may not find as many currencies on Coinmama as you would on other exchange platforms which have more than 50 currencies. However, Coinmama supports a number of major coins so if you’re only interested in the most popular ones such as bitcoin or ethereum, then you may not find it much of an issue.
What does Coinmama do?
Coinmama is an easy to use, straightforward exchange platform.
Once you have set up your account, and been verified, you are able to immediately begin buying and selling. There is no need to pre-fund your account unlike other exchanges, where you will need to first deposit fiat currency into your account, buy crypto, then transfer the funds to your external wallet.
You pay only once at the time you purchase. Then Coinmama will send the coins to your wallet.
To buy cryptocurrency, simply click Buy and select the coin you want to purchase. You will see options with exchange rates listed in your local currency. Click on the amount that you wish to buy and then click on Buy Now. Enter your payment method and wallet address to complete your transaction. Payment methods include credit card, debit card, Apple Pay, or bank transfer. Within an hour, your purchases will be in your personal wallet.
To sell, simply select the “sell” option, and then enter the amount that you wish to sell. You can transfer the coins from an external wallet to Coinmama by using a wallet address, or a QR code. Fiat funds from the sale should land in your bank account after a few days. However, take note that the option to sell crypto is only supported for Bitcoin and only in Europe.
Again, what’s great about Coinmama is that it’s non-custodial, so it never holds customer cryptocurrency funds, nor stores your payment information. You will always have complete control over your funds, making it a safe way to buy and sell cryptocurrency.
Overview of Fees
Like other cryptocurrency exchanges, Coinmama sets their own transaction rates based on an index called TradeBlock XBX which averages the rates of all known providers to track a market rate. Coinmama charges a rate based on this index plus 2%.
Coinmama charges a starting fee for buying at 3.81% and 3.90% for selling. However, the buy or sell fees depend on your loyalty level. You get reduced fees as you buy and sell through their loyalty program, over a rolling 90-day period.
Other fees include commission, bank transfer fees, and credit card fees.
For crypto purchases, the commission fee can be up to 3.81% and up to 0.9% for bitcoin sales.
There are different payment fees depending on the method used to make purchases. For example, purchases made with a credit card, debit card, Google Pay, or Apple Pay will incur an additional 5%. Payments made through Fedwire, SEPA, SWIFT, Open Banking are free of charge. 2 Step Verification Coinmama
SWIFT bank transfers (the required method for all transactions from U.S. banks) that are below $1000 are charged 20 British pounds while transfers of $1000 or more are free of charge.
- You’re new to cryptocurrency
- You want to be able to easily use fiat currency to purchase crypto, which you can then use to trade on other crypto exchanges
- You want to buy crypto using a debit or credit card
- You’re interested in trading only with a few select currencies such as bitcoin or ethereum
- You’re based in Europe or the U.K. (where features won’t be as limited)
- You want a convenient and simple to use crypto exchange platform
Coinmama’s aim is to provide a quick and easy way to buy and sell cryptocurrency through an easy to use interface and simple transaction flow. This can be attractive to those who are new to the world of crypto trading. 2 Step Verification Coinmama
It is a simple, straightforward cryptocurrency exchange platform that allows you to access most of the most widely used currencies in an easy and convenient way. Although it has higher fees than some other providers, the fees are reduced the more crypto that you buy or sell on the platform.
Although Coinmama is not as feature-rich as other cryptocurrency exchanges, it does offer other benefits such as the convenience of debit or credit card payments, the ability to instantly buy and trade crypto, high spending limits and loyalty programs, as well as the safe and secure way to buy and sell cryptocurrency.
FAQS 2 Step Verification Coinmama
- What is a Cryptocurrency Exchange?
- A cryptocurrency exchange is a service for changing digital currencies, such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, and more, to fiat (paper) currencies or for other digital currencies.
- How long does it take for Coinmama to send my bitcoins once I’ve paid?
- Coinmama will send the coins to your wallet within one hour of your payment and wallet address being confirmed.
- What methods of payment does Coinmama offer?
- Coinmama allows you to buy cryptocurrencies with a debit card, credit card or bank wire transfer.
- Is Coinmama safe?
- Coinmama is non-custodial and therefore safe. Your funds are immediately sent to your personal wallet after you have purchased it. They are never stored online in your Coinmama accounts.
- Is Coinmama legitimate?
- Yes. Coinmama is a trusted and legitimate cryptocurrency broker. It has been trusted by more than 3,000,000 people in 188 countries since 2013.