Coinmama, a cryptocurrency exchange platform, offers a fast and safe way to purchase and sell most of the most popular cryptos. It was founded in 2013 and the first platform to allow purchases using a credit card.
Because of its easy-to-use interface, it’s great for beginners. You can easily purchase crypto using fiat (paper) currency, which then goes directly to your personal wallet, allowing you complete control over your funds. Other attractive features are the multiple payment options, high spending limits, loyalty program, and more.
This review will cover the basics of what you need to know about Coinmama. Read on to find out if Coinmama is right for you.
Before you continue, you may want to watch this video by Bitcoin Made Easy on YouTube that gives a quick review. Afterward, you’ll want to read the rest of the article for a more comprehensive review of Coinmama.
Pros Can’T Buy With My Credit Card On Coinmama
- simple and easy to use
- Access to 10 most-popular cryptocurrencies
- Buy and Sell Cryptocurrency Instantly with Credit and Debit Cards
- variety of payment options
- high spending limits
- Higher transaction fees
- Only 10 cryptocurrencies supported
- No built-in cryptocurrency wallet
- No crypto-to-crypto transaction
What is Coinmama?
Coinmama offers access to 10 cryptocurrencies that include major coins as well as less common ones. The 10 cryptocurrencies are Bitcoin (BTC), Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Ethereum (ETH), Dogecoin (DOGE), Cardano (ADA), Litecoin (LTC), Ripple (XRP), Tezos (XTZ), Chainlink (LINK), and Uniswap (UNI).
Coinmama lets you buy cryptocurrencies with fiat currency. This money is then sent to your wallet directly. The fiat currencies accepted by Coinmama are USD, EUR, GBP, CAD, AUD, and JPY.
The minimum amount to buy on Coinmama is $30, while the minimum amount to sell is $100.
Buy transaction fees can be as low as 2.38% or as high at 3.83%. Sell transaction fees range from 0.91% up to 1.87%.
Why you should use Coinmama
User-friendly, simple platform
If you’re a beginner to the world of cryptocurrency, then you might have experienced being overwhelmed by the complicated charts and data in other exchange platforms.
Coinmama simplifies the process with its simple interface and design. Anyone can start buying crypto even without experience or a lot of knowledge about the different currencies.
After you have created an account and been verified, it is easy to purchase on the platform. After payment is made, transactions are settled within a couple of days.
Buy and sell crypto instantly
Coinmama offers the quickest way to buy cryptocurrency. Coinmama is different from other cryptocurrency exchanges, which require you to first deposit fiat currency before you can purchase crypto. You can choose the crypto you wish and then pay at checkout just like any other online shopping experience. Once you have received the crypto, it will be sent to your external wallet.
You can simply transfer funds to Coinmama from an external wallet. The funds from the sale are then sent to your bank account. This simple transaction flow saves time and is more convenient for the user.
Multiple payment options
You can pay with credit cards, bank transfers, debit cards and Apple Pay. Coinmama was the first crypto exchange that accepted credit and debit cards, unlike other exchanges that don’t support card payments. You can purchase digital currency with any Visa, Mastercard debit or credit card or Apple Pay, SEPA Bank Transfer in Europe, SWIFT within the U.K. or wire transfer (outside Europe and the U.K.).
Coinmama offers a loyalty program where you can take advantage of reduced rates and save money. The more you buy or sell over a rolling 90-day period, the more the fees are reduced. We will talk more about Coinmama fees later, but for now, these are the three loyalty levels.
- Crypto Curious – the initial level, applies to all new users.
- Crypto Enthusiast – a level that you can reach if you have made a minimum of $5 000 USD in cumulative purchases over a rolling 90 day period. The fees for buying transactions have been reduced to 3.34%, while the selling transaction fees have been lowered to 3.41%.
- Crypto Believer – fees for buying are reduced to 2.86% and selling fees are now just 2.93% when you’ve made a cumulative purchase amount of $18 000 USD over a rolling 90-day period, or a lifetime purchase amount above $50 000 USD. This level will allow you to save 25% on the final cost of crypto.
Coinmama allows you to spend up to 30,000 USD at a time, which is higher than other crypto exchanges. Coinmama is different from other platforms. You can have issues buying large amounts of crypto in other platforms but not in Coinmama. Your personal limit increases as you make more purchases on the platform. Your verification level determines your personal limit. These are the verification levels.
- Level 1: Monthly buy or sell limit of $15,000 for 50 or more orders.
- Level 2: Monthly buy or sell limit of $50,000 for 50 or more orders.
- Level 3: Monthly buy or sell limit is $100,000 over 50 orders.
The Downsides of Coinmama
Higher transaction fees
Compared to other crypto exchanges, Coinmama’s fees are higher at 3.81% for buying and 3.90% for selling. However, you can take advantage of reduced rates through their loyalty program. The fees go down as you purchase more crypto on the platform.
There is no crypto wallet
Coinmama does not have a crypto wallet that you can use to store your coins. Coinmama will simply send coins to an external wallet that you own. This means you need to set up your own personal wallet to store the cryptocurrencies you buy.
You can easily find an online wallet through a third-party provider. You simply need to share your wallet address with Coinmama when you purchase or sell coins. This is a string of numbers that serves as a “public key” for your wallet.
This is great because Coinmama does not store your funds, or your payment information. This means your funds or personal information aren’t available on the site to be hacked. Just be careful when entering your wallet address to avoid sending your funds to the wrong address. Coinmama can’t retrieve funds if you make a mistake because transactions on blockchain are irreversible.
There are no crypto-to-crypto transactions
Coinmama doesn’t offer crypto-to-crypto trading, which means you can only use fiat currency such as USD or GBP in order to purchase crypto. Also, it doesn’t allow trades between sellers and buyers. All cryptocurrencies sold are from Coinmama’s inventory, so the transaction is purely between you and the company.
Limited number of cryptocurrencies
You may not find as many currencies on Coinmama as you would on other exchange platforms which have more than 50 currencies. However, Coinmama supports a number of major coins so if you’re only interested in the most popular ones such as bitcoin or ethereum, then you may not find it much of an issue.
How does Coinmama work?
Coinmama is an intuitive and simple exchange platform.
After setting up your account and getting verified, you can immediately start buying and selling. Unlike other exchanges that require you to pre-fund your account, there is no need for you to do so. You will only need to deposit fiat currency first, then buy crypto and then transfer the funds into an external wallet.
Here, you make your payment only at the time of purchase, then Coinmama sends the coins directly to your wallet.
To buy cryptocurrency, simply click Buy and select the coin you want to purchase. There will be options for exchange rates in your local currency. Select the amount you want to purchase then click Buy Now. To complete your transaction, enter your payment method. You can pay by credit card, bank transfer, debit card or Apple Pay. Within an hour, your purchases will be in your personal wallet.
To sell crypto, simply select the “sell” option and enter the amount you want to sell. Transfer the coins from your external wallet to Coinmama using a wallet address or a QR code. Fiat funds from the sale should land in your bank account after a few days. However, take note that the option to sell crypto is only supported for Bitcoin and only in Europe.
Coinmama’s advantage is that it’s non- custodial. It doesn’t hold customer cryptocurrency funds nor store your payment information. It will give you complete control of your funds and make it safe to sell or buy cryptocurrency.
Overview of Fees
Coinmama, like other cryptocurrency exchanges, sets its own transaction rates based upon an index called TradeBlock XBX. This averages all the rates from known providers to track a market price. Coinmama charges a rate based on this index plus 2%.
Coinmama charges a starting fee for buying at 3.81% and 3.90% for selling. The fees for selling or buying depend on your loyalty level. You get reduced fees as you buy and sell through their loyalty program, over a rolling 90-day period.
Other fees include commission, bank transfer fees, and credit card fees.
The commission fee is up to 3.81% on crypto purchases and up to 0.9% to sell bitcoin.
Payment fees vary depending on payment method, with an additional 5% for purchases made by credit card, debit card, Google Pay or Apple Pay. Payments made through Fedwire, SEPA, SWIFT, Open Banking are free of charge. Can’T Buy With My Credit Card On Coinmama
SWIFT bank transfers (the required method for all transactions from U.S. banks) that are below $1000 are charged 20 British pounds while transfers of $1000 or more are free of charge.
- You’re brand new to cryptocurrency
- You want to be able to easily use fiat currency to purchase crypto, which you can then use to trade on other crypto exchanges
- You want to purchase crypto with a credit or debit card
- You’re interested in trading only with a few select currencies such as bitcoin or ethereum
- You’re based in Europe or the U.K. (where features won’t be as limited)
- You want a convenient and simple to use crypto exchange platform
Coinmama’s aim is to provide a quick and easy way to buy and sell cryptocurrency through an easy to use interface and simple transaction flow. This can be attractive to those who are new to the world of crypto trading. Can’T Buy With My Credit Card On Coinmama
It’s a no-fuss, basic cryptocurrency exchange platform that lets you access the most popular currencies in a convenient and simple way. Although it has higher fees than some other providers, the fees are reduced the more crypto that you buy or sell on the platform.
Although Coinmama is not as feature-rich as other cryptocurrency exchanges, it does offer other benefits such as the convenience of debit or credit card payments, the ability to instantly buy and trade crypto, high spending limits and loyalty programs, as well as the safe and secure way to buy and sell cryptocurrency.
FAQS Can’T Buy With My Credit Card On Coinmama
- What is a Cryptocurrency exchange?
- A cryptocurrency exchange allows you to convert digital currencies such as Bitcoin, Ethereum and other currencies to fiat (paper) currency or any other digital currency.
- How long does it take for Coinmama to send my bitcoins once I’ve paid?
- Coinmama will send the coins to your wallet within one hour of your payment and wallet address being confirmed.
- What methods of payment does Coinmama offer?
- You can buy cryptocurrencies at Coinmama with a credit card, debit card or by bank wire transfer.
- Is Coinmama safe?
- Yes, Coinmama is safe, because it is a non-custodial crypto broker. Your funds are immediately sent to your personal wallet after you have purchased it. They are never stored online in your Coinmama accounts.
- Is Coinmama legitimate?
- Yes. Coinmama is a legitimate and trustworthy cryptocurrency broker that is trusted by over 3,000,000 people across 188 countries since 2013.