Coinmama, a cryptocurrency exchange platform, offers a fast and safe way to purchase and sell most of the most popular cryptos. It was founded in 2013 and the first platform to allow purchases using a credit card.
Because of its easy-to-use interface, it’s great for beginners. It is easy to purchase crypto using fiat currency (paper money), which then goes directly into your personal wallet. This gives you full control over your funds. Other attractive features are the multiple payment options, high spending limits, loyalty program, and more.
This review will provide a basic overview of Coinmama. Continue reading to discover if Coinmama suits you.
Before you continue, you may want to watch this video by Bitcoin Made Easy on YouTube that gives a quick review. After, you will want to read the rest of our article for a more comprehensive review of Coinmama.
Pros Coinmama Areas Of Service
- simple and easy to use
- offers access to 10 of the most popular cryptocurrencies
- buy and sell crypto instantly with credit and debit cards
- variety of payment options
- High spending limits
- Higher transaction fees
- supports only 10 cryptocurrencies
- No built-in cryptocurrency wallet
- no crypto-to-crypto transactions
What is Coinmama?
Coinmama gives you access to 10 cryptocurrencies, including major and less-known coins. The 10 cryptocurrencies are Bitcoin (BTC), Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Ethereum (ETH), Dogecoin (DOGE), Cardano (ADA), Litecoin (LTC), Ripple (XRP), Tezos (XTZ), Chainlink (LINK), and Uniswap (UNI).
Coinmama lets you buy cryptocurrencies with fiat currency. This money is then sent to your wallet directly. The fiat currencies accepted by Coinmama are USD, EUR, GBP, CAD, AUD, and JPY.
Coinmama allows you to buy as little as $30 and sell as much at $100.
Fees for buy transactions can range from 2.38% to 3.83%, while sell transaction fees generally range from 0.91% to 1.87%.
Why you should use Coinmama
Simple, user-friendly platform
You might feel overwhelmed by complex charts and data on other cryptocurrency exchanges if you are a beginner.
Coinmama makes the process less confusing through an easy to use interface and simple design. Even if you don’t have any experience with crypto, anyone can buy it.
After you have created an account and been verified, it is easy to purchase on the platform. Transactions are processed within days after payment has been made.
Instantly buy and sell crypto
Coinmama is the fastest way to buy cryptocurrency. Coinmama is different from other cryptocurrency exchanges, which require you to first deposit fiat currency before you can purchase crypto. You can choose the crypto you wish and then pay at checkout just like any other online shopping experience. The crypto will then be sent directly to your external wallet.
You can simply transfer funds to Coinmama from an external wallet. The funds from the sale are then sent to your bank account. This simple transaction flow saves time and is more convenient for the user.
Multiple payment options
You can pay with credit cards, bank transfers, debit cards and Apple Pay. Coinmama is the first cryptocurrency exchange to accept credit and debit cards. This is in contrast to other exchanges that do not support card payments. Digital currency can be purchased with any Visa or Mastercard debit or credit card, or Apple Pay, SEPA bank transfer in Europe, SWIFT in the U.K., or wire transfer (outside of Europe and the U.K.).
Coinmama has a loyalty program that allows you to take advantage of lower rates and save money. The more you buy or sell over a rolling 90-day period, the more the fees are reduced. We will talk more about Coinmama fees later, but for now, these are the three loyalty levels.
- Crypto Curious – the initial level for all new users.
- Crypto Enthusiast – a level that you can reach if you have made a minimum of $5 000 USD in cumulative purchases over a rolling 90 day period. Fees for buy transactions are reduced to 3.34% and selling transaction fees are now 3.41%.
- Crypto Believer – Buying fees have been reduced to 2.86%, and selling fees are now only 2.93% if you have made cumulative purchases of $18 000 USD in a rolling 90-day period or more than $50 000 USD. This level will allow you to save 25% on the final cost of crypto.
Coinmama allows you to spend up to 30,000 USD at a time, which is higher than other crypto exchanges. In other platforms, there can be some issues when buying large amounts of crypto, which is not the case with Coinmama.Your personal limit also increases as you buy more on the platform. Your verification level determines your personal limit. Here are the verification levels:
- Level 1: Monthly buy or sell limit of $15,000 for 50 or more orders.
- Level 2: Monthly buy or sell limit is $50,000 over 50 orders.
- Level 3: Monthly buy or sell limit is $100,000 over 50 orders.
The Downsides of Coinmama
Higher transaction fees
Compared to other crypto exchanges, Coinmama’s fees are higher at 3.81% for buying and 3.90% for selling. You can take advantage of their loyalty program, which offers lower rates. As you buy more crypto on the platform, your fees will decrease.
No crypto wallet
Coinmama does not have a crypto wallet that you can use to store your coins. Coinmama will only send your coins to an external wallet you have. To store the cryptocurrencies that you purchase, you will need to create your own wallet.
An online wallet can be found easily through third-party providers. Upon purchasing or selling on Coinmama, you simply need to share your wallet address, which is a string of numbers that serve as a “public key” for your wallet.
This is great because Coinmama does not store your funds, or your payment information. This means that your personal information and funds are not available on the site. Just be careful when entering your wallet address to avoid sending your funds to the wrong address. Coinmama can’t retrieve funds if you make a mistake because transactions on blockchain are irreversible.
There are no crypto-to-crypto transactions
Coinmama doesn’t offer crypto-to-crypto trading, which means you can only use fiat currency such as USD or GBP in order to purchase crypto. Also, it doesn’t allow trades between sellers and buyers. All the cryptocurrencies that are sold by Coinmama come from its inventory. The transaction is between the buyer and seller.
Limited number of cryptocurrencies
The small selection of currencies can be quite limited compared to other exchange platforms that have over 50 currencies. However, Coinmama supports a number of major coins so if you’re only interested in the most popular ones such as bitcoin or ethereum, then you may not find it much of an issue.
How does Coinmama work?
Coinmama is an intuitive and simple exchange platform.
After setting up your account and getting verified, you can immediately start buying and selling. Unlike other exchanges that require you to pre-fund your account, there is no need for you to do so. You will only need to deposit fiat currency first, then buy crypto and then transfer the funds into an external wallet.
You pay only once at the time you purchase. Then Coinmama will send the coins to your wallet.
Click Buy to buy cryptocurrency. You will see options with exchange rates listed in your local currency. Click on the amount that you wish to buy and then click on Buy Now. To complete your transaction, enter your payment method. You can pay by credit card, bank transfer, debit card or Apple Pay. Your purchases will go directly into your personal wallet within an hour.
To sell crypto, simply select the “sell” option and enter the amount you want to sell. You can transfer the coins from an external wallet to Coinmama by using a wallet address, or a QR code. Fiat funds from the sale should land in your bank account after a few days. However, take note that the option to sell crypto is only supported for Bitcoin and only in Europe.
Coinmama’s advantage is that it’s non- custodial. It doesn’t hold customer cryptocurrency funds nor store your payment information. It will give you complete control of your funds and make it safe to sell or buy cryptocurrency.
Overview of Fees
Coinmama, like other cryptocurrency exchanges, sets its own transaction rates based upon an index called TradeBlock XBX. This averages all the rates from known providers to track a market price. This index is used to calculate Coinmama’s rate plus 2%.
Coinmama’s starting fees for buying is 3.81% while for selling is 3.90%. However, the buy or sell fees depend on your loyalty level. You get reduced fees as you buy and sell through their loyalty program, over a rolling 90-day period.
Other fees include commission, bank transfer fees, and credit card fees.
For crypto purchases, the commission fee can be up to 3.81% and up to 0.9% for bitcoin sales.
Payment fees vary depending on payment method, with an additional 5% for purchases made by credit card, debit card, Google Pay or Apple Pay. Payments made through Fedwire, SEPA, SWIFT, Open Banking are free of charge. Coinmama Areas Of Service
Transfers to SWIFT banks (the required method for all transactions from U.S. Banks) below $1000 incur 20 British Pounds, while those above $1000 are free.
- You’re brand new to cryptocurrency
- You want an easy way to use fiat currency to buy crypto that you can use for trading on other crypto exchanges
- You want to purchase crypto with a credit or debit card
- You are interested in trading with only a handful of currencies, such as bitcoin and ethereum
- You’re located in Europe or the U.K. (where features will not be as limited).
- You want an easy-to-use and convenient crypto exchange platform
Coinmama is a platform that makes it easy to buy and sell crypto. It has an easy to use interface and simple transaction process. This can be attractive to those who are new to the world of crypto trading. Coinmama Areas Of Service
It’s a no-fuss, basic cryptocurrency exchange platform that lets you access the most popular currencies in a convenient and simple way. It has higher fees than other providers, however, these fees are reduced the more crypto you buy and sell on the platform.
Although Coinmama is not as feature-rich as other cryptocurrency exchanges, it does offer other benefits such as the convenience of debit or credit card payments, the ability to instantly buy and trade crypto, high spending limits and loyalty programs, as well as the safe and secure way to buy and sell cryptocurrency.
FAQ Coinmama Areas Of Service
- What is a Cryptocurrency exchange?
- A cryptocurrency exchange is a service for changing digital currencies, such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, and more, to fiat (paper) currencies or for other digital currencies.
- How long does it take for Coinmama to send my bitcoins once I’ve paid?
- Coinmama sends the coins to your personal wallet within 1 hour after both your payment and wallet address have been confirmed.
- What methods of payment does Coinmama offer?
- Coinmama allows you to buy cryptocurrencies with a debit card, credit card or bank wire transfer.
- Is Coinmama safe?
- Coinmama is non-custodial and therefore safe. Your funds are immediately sent to your personal wallet after you have purchased it. They are never stored online in your Coinmama accounts.
- Is Coinmama legitimate?
- Yes. Coinmama is a trusted and legitimate cryptocurrency broker. It has been trusted by more than 3,000,000 people in 188 countries since 2013.