Coinmama, a cryptocurrency exchange platform, offers a fast and safe way to purchase and sell most of the most popular cryptos. It was founded in 2013 and the first platform to allow purchases using a credit card.
It’s perfect for beginners due to its simple and user-friendly interface. It is easy to purchase crypto using fiat currency (paper money), which then goes directly into your personal wallet. This gives you full control over your funds. Other attractive features are the multiple payment options, high spending limits, loyalty program, and more.
This review will provide a basic overview of Coinmama. Continue reading to discover if Coinmama suits you.
Before you continue, you may want to check out this video by Bitcoin Made Easy on YouTube that gives a quick review. After, you’ll want to read the rest of our article for a more comprehensive review of Coinmama.
Pros Coinmama Is Safety
- It’s simple and straightforward to use
- offers access to 10 of the most popular cryptocurrencies
- Buy and Sell Cryptocurrency Instantly with Credit and Debit Cards
- variety of payment options
- High spending limits
- Higher transaction fees
- Only 10 cryptocurrencies supported
- no built-in crypto wallet
- No crypto-to-crypto transaction
What is Coinmama?
Coinmama gives you access to 10 cryptocurrencies, including major and less-known coins. These cryptocurrencies include Bitcoin (BTC), Bitcoin Cash(BCH), Ethereum (ETH), Dogecoin (DOGE), Cardano (ADA), Litecoin (LTC), Ripple (XRP), Tezos (XTZ), Chainlink (LINK) and Uniswap (UNI.)
Coinmama lets you buy cryptocurrencies with fiat currency. This money is then sent to your wallet directly. Coinmama accepts USD, EUR, GBP, CAD, AUD, and JPY as fiat currencies.
Coinmama allows you to buy as little as $30 and sell as much at $100.
Buy transaction fees can be as low as 2.38% or as high at 3.83%. Sell transaction fees range from 0.91% up to 1.87%.
What’s great about Coinmama
User-friendly, simple platform
You might feel overwhelmed by complex charts and data on other cryptocurrency exchanges if you are a beginner.
Coinmama makes the process less confusing through an easy to use interface and simple design. Even if you don’t have any experience with crypto, anyone can buy it.
Once you set up an account and get verified, purchasing on the platform is a pretty straightforward process. After payment is made, transactions are settled within a couple of days.
Buy and sell crypto instantly
Coinmama is the fastest way to buy cryptocurrency. Unlike other crypto exchanges that require you to deposit fiat currency first before you can buy crypto, you can select the crypto that you want then pay during checkout, just like any online shopping experience. The crypto will then be sent directly to your external wallet.
When selling crypto, you simply transfer funds from your external wallet to Coinmama, then the funds from the sale are sent directly to your bank account. This simple transaction flow saves time and is more convenient for the user.
Multiple payment options
You can pay with credit cards, bank transfers, debit cards and Apple Pay. Coinmama was the first crypto exchange that accepted credit and debit cards, unlike other exchanges that don’t support card payments. Digital currency can be purchased with any Visa or Mastercard debit or credit card, or Apple Pay, SEPA bank transfer in Europe, SWIFT in the U.K., or wire transfer (outside of Europe and the U.K.).
Coinmama offers a loyalty program where you can take advantage of reduced rates and save money. The more you buy or sell over a rolling 90-day period, the more the fees are reduced. We’ll talk more about Coinmama’s fees in the later on, so for now, here are the three loyalty levels:
- Crypto Curious – the initial level for all new users.
- Crypto Enthusiast – you reach this level when you’ve made a minimum cumulative purchase amount of $5 000 USD over a rolling 90-day period. Fees for buy transactions are reduced to 3.34% and selling transaction fees are now 3.41%.
- Crypto Believer – Buying fees have been reduced to 2.86%, and selling fees are now only 2.93% if you have made cumulative purchases of $18 000 USD in a rolling 90-day period or more than $50 000 USD. This level will allow you to save 25% on the final cost of crypto.
Coinmama lets you spend up to 30,000 dollars at once, which is more than any other cryptocurrency exchanges. In other platforms, there can be some issues when buying large amounts of crypto, which is not the case with Coinmama.Your personal limit also increases as you buy more on the platform. Your verification level determines your personal limit. These are the verification levels.
- Level 1: Monthly buy or sell limit is $15,000 over 50 orders.
- Level 2: Monthly buy or sell limit is $50,000 over 50 orders.
- Level 3: The monthly buy-or-sell limit is $100,000 for orders greater than 50
The Downsides of Coinmama
Higher transaction fees
Coinmama’s fees for buying and selling are more expensive than other cryptocurrency exchanges. They charge 3.81% to buy and 3.90% to sell. However, you can take advantage of reduced rates through their loyalty program. The fees go down as you purchase more crypto on the platform.
No crypto wallet
Coinmama does not have a crypto wallet that you can use to store your coins. Coinmama will simply send coins to an external wallet that you own. This means you need to set up your own personal wallet to store the cryptocurrencies you buy.
An online wallet can be found easily through third-party providers. You simply need to share your wallet address with Coinmama when you purchase or sell coins. This is a string of numbers that serves as a “public key” for your wallet.
This is great because Coinmama does not store your funds, or your payment information. This means that your personal information and funds are not available on the site. To avoid having your funds sent to the wrong address, be sure to enter your wallet address carefully. Coinmama can’t retrieve funds if you make a mistake because transactions on blockchain are irreversible.
There are no crypto-to-crypto transactions
Coinmama doesn’t offer crypto-to-crypto trading, which means you can only use fiat currency such as USD or GBP in order to purchase crypto. Also, it doesn’t allow trades between sellers and buyers. All cryptocurrencies sold are from Coinmama’s inventory, so the transaction is purely between you and the company.
Limited number of cryptocurrencies
You may not find as many currencies on Coinmama as you would on other exchange platforms which have more than 50 currencies. Coinmama does support a variety of major coins, so if you are only interested in bitcoin or ethereum it may not be a problem.
What does Coinmama do?
Coinmama is an intuitive and simple exchange platform.
After setting up your account and getting verified, you can immediately start buying and selling. There is no need to pre-fund your account unlike other exchanges, where you will need to first deposit fiat currency into your account, buy crypto, then transfer the funds to your external wallet.
You pay only once at the time you purchase. Then Coinmama will send the coins to your wallet.
To buy cryptocurrency, simply click Buy and select the coin you want to purchase. There will be options for exchange rates in your local currency. Click on the amount that you wish to buy and then click on Buy Now. To complete your transaction, enter your payment method. Payment methods include credit card, debit card, Apple Pay, or bank transfer. Within an hour, your purchases will be in your personal wallet.
To sell crypto, simply select the “sell” option and enter the amount you want to sell. Transfer the coins from your external wallet to Coinmama using a wallet address or a QR code. Fiat funds from the sale should land in your bank account after a few days. However, take note that the option to sell crypto is only supported for Bitcoin and only in Europe.
Again, what’s great about Coinmama is that it’s non-custodial, so it never holds customer cryptocurrency funds, nor stores your payment information. You will always have complete control over your funds, making it a safe way to buy and sell cryptocurrency.
Overview of Fees
Coinmama, like other cryptocurrency exchanges, sets its own transaction rates based upon an index called TradeBlock XBX. This averages all the rates from known providers to track a market price. This index is used to calculate Coinmama’s rate plus 2%.
Coinmama charges a starting fee for buying at 3.81% and 3.90% for selling. However, the buy or sell fees depend on your loyalty level. Over a rolling 90 day period, you will receive reduced fees when you sell or buy through their loyalty program.
Other fees include commission, bank transfer fees, and credit card fees.
The commission fee is up to 3.81% on crypto purchases and up to 0.9% to sell bitcoin.
Payment fees vary depending on payment method, with an additional 5% for purchases made by credit card, debit card, Google Pay or Apple Pay. Payments made via Fedwire, SEPA, SWIFT, Open Banking, and SWIFT are free. Coinmama Is Safety
Transfers to SWIFT banks (the required method for all transactions from U.S. Banks) below $1000 incur 20 British Pounds, while those above $1000 are free.
- You’re brand new to cryptocurrency
- You want to be able to easily use fiat currency to purchase crypto, which you can then use to trade on other crypto exchanges
- You want to buy crypto using a debit or credit card
- You’re interested in trading only with a few select currencies such as bitcoin or ethereum
- You’re located in Europe or the U.K. (where features will not be as limited).
- You want an easy-to-use and convenient crypto exchange platform
Coinmama’s aim is to provide a quick and easy way to buy and sell cryptocurrency through an easy to use interface and simple transaction flow. This is a great option for those new to crypto trading. Coinmama Is Safety
It’s a no-fuss, basic cryptocurrency exchange platform that lets you access the most popular currencies in a convenient and simple way. It has higher fees than other providers, however, these fees are reduced the more crypto you buy and sell on the platform.
Coinmama may not be as feature-packed as other cryptocurrency exchange platforms out there, but it offers other advantages such as a convenient debit or credit card payment option, the ability to buy and sell crypto instantly, high spending limits, a loyalty program, and a safe way to buy and sell cryptocurrency.
FAQS Coinmama Is Safety
- What is a Cryptocurrency exchange?
- A cryptocurrency exchange is a service for changing digital currencies, such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, and more, to fiat (paper) currencies or for other digital currencies.
- How long does it take for Coinmama to send my bitcoins once I’ve paid?
- Coinmama sends the coins to your personal wallet within 1 hour after both your payment and wallet address have been confirmed.
- What methods of payment does Coinmama offer?
- Coinmama allows you to buy cryptocurrencies with a debit card, credit card or bank wire transfer.
- Is Coinmama safe?
- Coinmama is non-custodial and therefore safe. This means your funds are sent directly to your personal wallet once you purchase it, and are never held online in your Coinmama account.
- Is Coinmama legitimate?
- Yes. Coinmama is a trusted and legitimate cryptocurrency broker. It has been trusted by more than 3,000,000 people in 188 countries since 2013.