Coinmama, a cryptocurrency exchange platform, offers a fast and safe way to purchase and sell most of the most popular cryptos. Founded in 2013, it was the first exchange platform that allowed purchases with a credit card.
Because of its easy-to-use interface, it’s great for beginners. It is easy to purchase crypto using fiat currency (paper money), which then goes directly into your personal wallet. This gives you full control over your funds. You will also find attractive features like multiple payment options and high spending limits.
This review will provide a basic overview of Coinmama. Read on to find out if Coinmama is right for you.
Before you go on, you may want to watch this video by Bitcoin Made Easy on YouTube that gives a quick overview. After, you’ll want to read the rest of the article for a more comprehensive review of Coinmama.
Pros Coinmama Reddit Tier
- It’s simple and straightforward to use
- offers access to 10 of the most popular cryptocurrencies
- buy and sell crypto instantly with credit and debit cards
- variety of payment options
- high spending limits
- Higher transaction fees
- Only 10 cryptocurrencies supported
- No built-in cryptocurrency wallet
- No crypto-to-crypto transaction
What is Coinmama?
Coinmama offers access to 10 cryptocurrencies that include major coins as well as less common ones. These cryptocurrencies include Bitcoin (BTC), Bitcoin Cash(BCH), Ethereum (ETH), Dogecoin (DOGE), Cardano (ADA), Litecoin (LTC), Ripple (XRP), Tezos (XTZ), Chainlink (LINK) and Uniswap (UNI.)
Coinmama allows you to buy cryptocurrencies using fiat currency, which is sent directly to your personal wallet. Coinmama accepts USD, EUR, GBP, CAD, AUD, and JPY as fiat currencies.
Coinmama allows you to buy as little as $30 and sell as much at $100.
Buy transaction fees can be as low as 2.38% or as high at 3.83%. Sell transaction fees range from 0.91% up to 1.87%.
Why you should use Coinmama
Simple, user-friendly platform
If you’re a beginner to the world of cryptocurrency, then you might have experienced being overwhelmed by the complicated charts and data in other exchange platforms.
Coinmama makes the process less confusing through an easy to use interface and simple design. Anyone can start buying crypto even without experience or a lot of knowledge about the different currencies.
After you have created an account and been verified, it is easy to purchase on the platform. After payment is made, transactions are settled within a couple of days.
Buy and sell crypto instantly
Coinmama offers the quickest way to buy cryptocurrency. Unlike other crypto exchanges that require you to deposit fiat currency first before you can buy crypto, you can select the crypto that you want then pay during checkout, just like any online shopping experience. The crypto will then be sent directly to your external wallet.
When selling crypto, you simply transfer funds from your external wallet to Coinmama, then the funds from the sale are sent directly to your bank account. This simple transaction flow saves time and is more convenient for the user.
Multiple payment options
Payment options include credit cards, debit cards, Apple Pay, Google Pay, and bank transfer. Coinmama is the first cryptocurrency exchange to accept credit and debit cards. This is in contrast to other exchanges that do not support card payments. You can purchase digital currency with any Visa, Mastercard debit or credit card or Apple Pay, SEPA Bank Transfer in Europe, SWIFT within the U.K. or wire transfer (outside Europe and the U.K.).
Coinmama offers a loyalty program where you can take advantage of reduced rates and save money. The more you buy or sell over a rolling 90-day period, the more the fees are reduced. We will talk more about Coinmama fees later, but for now, these are the three loyalty levels.
- Crypto Curious – the initial level for all new users.
- Crypto Enthusiast – you reach this level when you’ve made a minimum cumulative purchase amount of $5 000 USD over a rolling 90-day period. Fees for buy transactions are reduced to 3.34% and selling transaction fees are now 3.41%.
- Crypto Believer – fees for buying are reduced to 2.86% and selling fees are now just 2.93% when you’ve made a cumulative purchase amount of $18 000 USD over a rolling 90-day period, or a lifetime purchase amount above $50 000 USD. At this level, you can save 25% on the final price of crypto.
Coinmama lets you spend up to 30,000 dollars at once, which is more than any other cryptocurrency exchanges. Coinmama is different from other platforms. You can have issues buying large amounts of crypto in other platforms but not in Coinmama. Your personal limit increases as you make more purchases on the platform. Your verification level determines your personal limit. Here are the verification levels:
- Level 1: Monthly buy or sell limit of $15,000 for 50 or more orders.
- Level 2: Monthly buy or sell limit is $50,000 over 50 orders.
- Level 3: The monthly buy-or-sell limit is $100,000 for orders greater than 50
The Downsides to Coinmama
Higher transaction fees
Coinmama’s fees for buying and selling are more expensive than other cryptocurrency exchanges. They charge 3.81% to buy and 3.90% to sell. You can take advantage of their loyalty program, which offers lower rates. As you buy more crypto on the platform, your fees will decrease.
There is no crypto wallet
Coinmama doesn’t have a built-in crypto wallet where you can store your coins. Coinmama will simply send coins to an external wallet that you own. This means you need to set up your own personal wallet to store the cryptocurrencies you buy.
An online wallet can be found easily through third-party providers. You simply need to share your wallet address with Coinmama when you purchase or sell coins. This is a string of numbers that serves as a “public key” for your wallet.
This is great because Coinmama does not store your funds, or your payment information. This means your funds or personal information aren’t available on the site to be hacked. To avoid having your funds sent to the wrong address, be sure to enter your wallet address carefully. Coinmama can’t retrieve funds if you make a mistake because transactions on blockchain are irreversible.
No crypto-to-crypto transactions
Coinmama does not offer crypto-to-crypto trading. This means that you can only use fiat currencies such as USD and GBP to buy crypto. Also, it doesn’t allow trades between sellers and buyers. All cryptocurrencies sold are from Coinmama’s inventory, so the transaction is purely between you and the company.
Limited number of cryptocurrencies
You may not find as many currencies on Coinmama as you would on other exchange platforms which have more than 50 currencies. However, Coinmama supports a number of major coins so if you’re only interested in the most popular ones such as bitcoin or ethereum, then you may not find it much of an issue.
How does Coinmama work?
Coinmama is an intuitive and simple exchange platform.
After setting up your account and getting verified, you can immediately start buying and selling. Unlike other exchanges that require you to pre-fund your account, there is no need for you to do so. You will only need to deposit fiat currency first, then buy crypto and then transfer the funds into an external wallet.
Here, you make your payment only at the time of purchase, then Coinmama sends the coins directly to your wallet.
To buy cryptocurrency, simply click Buy and select the coin you want to purchase. There will be options for exchange rates in your local currency. Click on the amount that you wish to buy and then click on Buy Now. Enter your payment method and wallet address to complete your transaction. You can pay by credit card, bank transfer, debit card or Apple Pay. Your purchases will go directly into your personal wallet within an hour.
To sell crypto, simply select the “sell” option and enter the amount you want to sell. You can transfer the coins from an external wallet to Coinmama by using a wallet address, or a QR code. Fiat funds from the sale should land in your bank account after a few days. However, take note that the option to sell crypto is only supported for Bitcoin and only in Europe.
Again, what’s great about Coinmama is that it’s non-custodial, so it never holds customer cryptocurrency funds, nor stores your payment information. It will give you complete control of your funds and make it safe to sell or buy cryptocurrency.
Overview of Fees
Like other cryptocurrency exchanges, Coinmama sets their own transaction rates based on an index called TradeBlock XBX which averages the rates of all known providers to track a market rate. Coinmama charges a rate based on this index plus 2%.
Coinmama’s starting fees for buying is 3.81% while for selling is 3.90%. However, the buy or sell fees depend on your loyalty level. You get reduced fees as you buy and sell through their loyalty program, over a rolling 90-day period.
Other fees include commission, bank transfer fees, and credit card fees.
The commission fee is up to 3.81% on crypto purchases and up to 0.9% to sell bitcoin.
Payment fees vary depending on payment method, with an additional 5% for purchases made by credit card, debit card, Google Pay or Apple Pay. Payments made through Fedwire, SEPA, SWIFT, Open Banking are free of charge. Coinmama Reddit Tier
SWIFT bank transfers (the required method for all transactions from U.S. banks) that are below $1000 are charged 20 British pounds while transfers of $1000 or more are free of charge.
- You’re brand new to cryptocurrency
- You want an easy way to use fiat currency to buy crypto that you can use for trading on other crypto exchanges
- You want to buy crypto using a debit or credit card
- You’re interested in trading only with a few select currencies such as bitcoin or ethereum
- You’re based in Europe or the U.K. (where features won’t be as limited)
- You want an easy-to-use and convenient crypto exchange platform
Coinmama’s aim is to provide a quick and easy way to buy and sell cryptocurrency through an easy to use interface and simple transaction flow. This can be attractive to those who are new to the world of crypto trading. Coinmama Reddit Tier
It’s a no-fuss, basic cryptocurrency exchange platform that lets you access the most popular currencies in a convenient and simple way. It has higher fees than other providers, however, these fees are reduced the more crypto you buy and sell on the platform.
Although Coinmama is not as feature-rich as other cryptocurrency exchanges, it does offer other benefits such as the convenience of debit or credit card payments, the ability to instantly buy and trade crypto, high spending limits and loyalty programs, as well as the safe and secure way to buy and sell cryptocurrency.
FAQ Coinmama Reddit Tier
- What is a Cryptocurrency Exchange?
- A cryptocurrency exchange is a service for changing digital currencies, such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, and more, to fiat (paper) currencies or for other digital currencies.
- How long does it take for Coinmama to send my bitcoins once I’ve paid?
- Coinmama will send the coins to your wallet within one hour of your payment and wallet address being confirmed.
- Which payment methods does Coinmama accept?
- Coinmama allows you to buy cryptocurrencies with a debit card, credit card or bank wire transfer.
- Is Coinmama safe?
- Coinmama is non-custodial and therefore safe. Your funds are immediately sent to your personal wallet after you have purchased it. They are never stored online in your Coinmama accounts.
- Is Coinmama legitimate?
- Yes. Coinmama is a trusted and legitimate cryptocurrency broker. It has been trusted by more than 3,000,000 people in 188 countries since 2013.