Coinmama, a cryptocurrency exchange platform, offers a fast and safe way to purchase and sell most of the most popular cryptos. Founded in 2013, it was the first exchange platform that allowed purchases with a credit card.
It’s perfect for beginners due to its simple and user-friendly interface. It is easy to purchase crypto using fiat currency (paper money), which then goes directly into your personal wallet. This gives you full control over your funds. You will also find attractive features like multiple payment options and high spending limits.
This review will provide a basic overview of Coinmama. Continue reading to discover if Coinmama suits you.
Before you continue, you may want to check out this video by Bitcoin Made Easy on YouTube that gives a quick overview. Afterward, you’ll want to read the rest of our article for a more comprehensive review.
Pros Coinmama User Data
- It’s simple and straightforward to use
- Access to 10 most-popular cryptocurrencies
- Buy and Sell Cryptocurrency Instantly with Credit and Debit Cards
- variety of payment options
- High spending limits
- Higher transaction fees
- Only 10 cryptocurrencies supported
- No built-in cryptocurrency wallet
- no crypto-to-crypto transactions
What is Coinmama?
Coinmama offers access to 10 cryptocurrencies that include major coins as well as less common ones. These cryptocurrencies include Bitcoin (BTC), Bitcoin Cash(BCH), Ethereum (ETH), Dogecoin (DOGE), Cardano (ADA), Litecoin (LTC), Ripple (XRP), Tezos (XTZ), Chainlink (LINK) and Uniswap (UNI.)
Coinmama allows you to buy cryptocurrencies using fiat currency, which is sent directly to your personal wallet. The fiat currencies accepted by Coinmama are USD, EUR, GBP, CAD, AUD, and JPY.
The minimum amount to buy on Coinmama is $30, while the minimum amount to sell is $100.
Buy transaction fees can be as low as 2.38% or as high at 3.83%. Sell transaction fees range from 0.91% up to 1.87%.
What’s great about Coinmama
User-friendly, simple platform
You might feel overwhelmed by complex charts and data on other cryptocurrency exchanges if you are a beginner.
Coinmama simplifies the process with its simple interface and design. Even if you don’t have any experience with crypto, anyone can buy it.
Once you set up an account and get verified, purchasing on the platform is a pretty straightforward process. Transactions are processed within days after payment has been made.
Buy and sell crypto instantly
Coinmama is the fastest way to buy cryptocurrency. Coinmama is different from other cryptocurrency exchanges, which require you to first deposit fiat currency before you can purchase crypto. You can choose the crypto you wish and then pay at checkout just like any other online shopping experience. The crypto will then be sent directly to your external wallet.
You can simply transfer funds to Coinmama from an external wallet. The funds from the sale are then sent to your bank account. This transaction flow is simple and saves time, making it more convenient for users.
Multiple payment options
You can pay with credit cards, bank transfers, debit cards and Apple Pay. Coinmama is the first cryptocurrency exchange to accept credit and debit cards. This is in contrast to other exchanges that do not support card payments. You can purchase digital currency with any Visa, Mastercard debit or credit card or Apple Pay, SEPA Bank Transfer in Europe, SWIFT within the U.K. or wire transfer (outside Europe and the U.K.).
Coinmama has a loyalty program that allows you to take advantage of lower rates and save money. The more you buy or sell over a rolling 90-day period, the more the fees are reduced. We’ll talk more about Coinmama’s fees in the later on, so for now, here are the three loyalty levels:
- Crypto Curious – the initial level for all new users.
- Crypto Enthusiast – a level that you can reach if you have made a minimum of $5 000 USD in cumulative purchases over a rolling 90 day period. Fees for buy transactions are reduced to 3.34% and selling transaction fees are now 3.41%.
- Crypto Believer – Buying fees have been reduced to 2.86%, and selling fees are now only 2.93% if you have made cumulative purchases of $18 000 USD in a rolling 90-day period or more than $50 000 USD. This level will allow you to save 25% on the final cost of crypto.
Coinmama allows you to spend up to 30,000 USD at a time, which is higher than other crypto exchanges. Coinmama is different from other platforms. You can have issues buying large amounts of crypto in other platforms but not in Coinmama. Your personal limit increases as you make more purchases on the platform. Your verification level determines your personal limit. These are the verification levels.
- Level 1: Monthly buy or sell limit of $15,000 for 50 or more orders.
- Level 2: Monthly buy or sell limit is $50,000 over 50 orders.
- Level 3: Monthly buy or sell limit is $100,000 over 50 orders.
The Downsides of Coinmama
Higher transaction fees
Coinmama’s fees for buying and selling are more expensive than other cryptocurrency exchanges. They charge 3.81% to buy and 3.90% to sell. However, you can take advantage of reduced rates through their loyalty program. As you buy more crypto on the platform, your fees will decrease.
There is no crypto wallet
Coinmama doesn’t have a built-in crypto wallet where you can store your coins. Coinmama will simply send coins to an external wallet that you own. To store the cryptocurrencies that you purchase, you will need to create your own wallet.
You can easily find an online wallet through a third-party provider. Upon purchasing or selling on Coinmama, you simply need to share your wallet address, which is a string of numbers that serve as a “public key” for your wallet.
This is great because Coinmama does not store your funds, or your payment information. This means that your personal information and funds are not available on the site. To avoid having your funds sent to the wrong address, be sure to enter your wallet address carefully. Since transactions on blockchain are irreversible, Coinmama won’t be able to retrieve your funds in case of a mistake.
No crypto-to-crypto transactions
Coinmama does not offer crypto-to-crypto trading. This means that you can only use fiat currencies such as USD and GBP to buy crypto. It also doesn’t facilitate trades between buyers and sellers. All the cryptocurrencies that are sold by Coinmama come from its inventory. The transaction is between the buyer and seller.
Limited number of cryptocurrencies
The small selection of currencies can be quite limited compared to other exchange platforms that have over 50 currencies. However, Coinmama supports a number of major coins so if you’re only interested in the most popular ones such as bitcoin or ethereum, then you may not find it much of an issue.
What does Coinmama do?
Coinmama is an intuitive and simple exchange platform.
Once you have set up your account, and been verified, you are able to immediately begin buying and selling. Unlike other exchanges that require you to pre-fund your account, there is no need for you to do so. You will only need to deposit fiat currency first, then buy crypto and then transfer the funds into an external wallet.
You pay only once at the time you purchase. Then Coinmama will send the coins to your wallet.
Click Buy to buy cryptocurrency. You will see options with exchange rates listed in your local currency. Select the amount you want to purchase then click Buy Now. To complete your transaction, enter your payment method. Payment methods include credit card, debit card, Apple Pay, or bank transfer. Your purchases will go directly into your personal wallet within an hour.
To sell, simply select the “sell” option, and then enter the amount that you wish to sell. You can transfer the coins from an external wallet to Coinmama by using a wallet address, or a QR code. Fiat funds from the sale should land in your bank account after a few days. You should note, however, that only Bitcoin is supported and can only be sold in Europe.
Coinmama’s advantage is that it’s non- custodial. It doesn’t hold customer cryptocurrency funds nor store your payment information. It will give you complete control of your funds and make it safe to sell or buy cryptocurrency.
Overview of Fees
Like other cryptocurrency exchanges, Coinmama sets their own transaction rates based on an index called TradeBlock XBX which averages the rates of all known providers to track a market rate. This index is used to calculate Coinmama’s rate plus 2%.
Coinmama’s starting fees for buying is 3.81% while for selling is 3.90%. The fees for selling or buying depend on your loyalty level. You get reduced fees as you buy and sell through their loyalty program, over a rolling 90-day period.
Other fees include commission, bank transfer fees, and credit card fees.
For crypto purchases, the commission fee can be up to 3.81% and up to 0.9% for bitcoin sales.
There are different payment fees depending on the method used to make purchases. For example, purchases made with a credit card, debit card, Google Pay, or Apple Pay will incur an additional 5%. Payments made through Fedwire, SEPA, SWIFT, Open Banking are free of charge. Coinmama User Data
Transfers to SWIFT banks (the required method for all transactions from U.S. Banks) below $1000 incur 20 British Pounds, while those above $1000 are free.
- You’re new to cryptocurrency
- You want to be able to easily use fiat currency to purchase crypto, which you can then use to trade on other crypto exchanges
- You want to buy crypto using a debit or credit card
- You are interested in trading with only a handful of currencies, such as bitcoin and ethereum
- You’re based in Europe or the U.K. (where features won’t be as limited)
- You want a convenient and simple to use crypto exchange platform
Coinmama’s aim is to provide a quick and easy way to buy and sell cryptocurrency through an easy to use interface and simple transaction flow. This can be attractive to those who are new to the world of crypto trading. Coinmama User Data
It is a simple, straightforward cryptocurrency exchange platform that allows you to access most of the most widely used currencies in an easy and convenient way. It has higher fees than other providers, however, these fees are reduced the more crypto you buy and sell on the platform.
Coinmama may not be as feature-packed as other cryptocurrency exchange platforms out there, but it offers other advantages such as a convenient debit or credit card payment option, the ability to buy and sell crypto instantly, high spending limits, a loyalty program, and a safe way to buy and sell cryptocurrency.
FAQ Coinmama User Data
- What is a Cryptocurrency exchange?
- A cryptocurrency exchange allows you to convert digital currencies such as Bitcoin, Ethereum and other currencies to fiat (paper) currency or any other digital currency.
- What is the time it takes for Coinmama, once I have paid, to send my Bitcoins?
- Coinmama will send the coins to your wallet within one hour of your payment and wallet address being confirmed.
- Which payment methods does Coinmama accept?
- Coinmama allows you to buy cryptocurrencies with a debit card, credit card or bank wire transfer.
- Is Coinmama safe?
- Yes, Coinmama is safe, because it is a non-custodial crypto broker. Your funds are immediately sent to your personal wallet after you have purchased it. They are never stored online in your Coinmama accounts.
- Is Coinmama legitimate?
- Yes. Coinmama is a trusted and legitimate cryptocurrency broker. It has been trusted by more than 3,000,000 people in 188 countries since 2013.