Coinmama is a crypto exchange platform that offers a safe and quick way to buy and sell the most popular cryptocurrencies. Founded in 2013, it was the first exchange platform that allowed purchases with a credit card.
It’s perfect for beginners due to its simple and user-friendly interface. It is easy to purchase crypto using fiat currency (paper money), which then goes directly into your personal wallet. This gives you full control over your funds. Other attractive features are the multiple payment options, high spending limits, loyalty program, and more.
This review will cover the basics of what you need to know about Coinmama. Read on to find out if Coinmama is right for you.
Before you go on, you may want to check out this video by Bitcoin Made Easy on YouTube that gives a quick review. After, you will want to read the rest of our article for a more comprehensive review.
Pros Coinmama Website Down
- It’s simple and straightforward to use
- offers access to 10 of the most popular cryptocurrencies
- buy and sell crypto instantly with credit and debit cards
- variety of payment options
- high spending limits
- Higher transaction fees
- Only 10 cryptocurrencies supported
- no built-in crypto wallet
- no crypto-to-crypto transactions
What is Coinmama?
Coinmama offers access to 10 cryptocurrencies that include major coins as well as less common ones. The 10 cryptocurrencies are Bitcoin (BTC), Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Ethereum (ETH), Dogecoin (DOGE), Cardano (ADA), Litecoin (LTC), Ripple (XRP), Tezos (XTZ), Chainlink (LINK), and Uniswap (UNI).
Coinmama allows you to buy cryptocurrencies using fiat currency, which is sent directly to your personal wallet. The fiat currencies accepted by Coinmama are USD, EUR, GBP, CAD, AUD, and JPY.
The minimum amount to buy on Coinmama is $30, while the minimum amount to sell is $100.
Buy transaction fees can be as low as 2.38% or as high at 3.83%. Sell transaction fees range from 0.91% up to 1.87%.
What’s great about Coinmama
Simple, user-friendly platform
You might feel overwhelmed by complex charts and data on other cryptocurrency exchanges if you are a beginner.
Coinmama simplifies the process with its simple interface and design. Anyone can start buying crypto even without experience or a lot of knowledge about the different currencies.
After you have created an account and been verified, it is easy to purchase on the platform. After payment is made, transactions are settled within a couple of days.
Buy and sell crypto instantly
Coinmama offers the quickest way to buy cryptocurrency. Coinmama is different from other cryptocurrency exchanges, which require you to first deposit fiat currency before you can purchase crypto. You can choose the crypto you wish and then pay at checkout just like any other online shopping experience. The crypto will then be sent directly to your external wallet.
When selling crypto, you simply transfer funds from your external wallet to Coinmama, then the funds from the sale are sent directly to your bank account. This transaction flow is simple and saves time, making it more convenient for users.
Variety of payment options
You can pay with credit cards, bank transfers, debit cards and Apple Pay. Coinmama is the first cryptocurrency exchange to accept credit and debit cards. This is in contrast to other exchanges that do not support card payments. You can purchase digital currency with any Visa, Mastercard debit or credit card or Apple Pay, SEPA Bank Transfer in Europe, SWIFT within the U.K. or wire transfer (outside Europe and the U.K.).
Coinmama has a loyalty program that allows you to take advantage of lower rates and save money. The more you buy or sell over a rolling 90-day period, the more the fees are reduced. We will talk more about Coinmama fees later, but for now, these are the three loyalty levels.
- Crypto Curious – the initial level, applies to all new users.
- Crypto Enthusiast – you reach this level when you’ve made a minimum cumulative purchase amount of $5 000 USD over a rolling 90-day period. Fees for buy transactions are reduced to 3.34% and selling transaction fees are now 3.41%.
- Crypto Believer – Buying fees have been reduced to 2.86%, and selling fees are now only 2.93% if you have made cumulative purchases of $18 000 USD in a rolling 90-day period or more than $50 000 USD. At this level, you can save 25% on the final price of crypto.
Coinmama lets you spend up to 30,000 dollars at once, which is more than any other cryptocurrency exchanges. In other platforms, there can be some issues when buying large amounts of crypto, which is not the case with Coinmama.Your personal limit also increases as you buy more on the platform. Your verification level determines your personal limit. Here are the verification levels:
- Level 1: Monthly buy or sell limit is $15,000 over 50 orders.
- Level 2: Monthly buy or sell limit of $50,000 for 50 or more orders.
- Level 3: Monthly buy or sell limit is $100,000 over 50 orders.
The Downsides of Coinmama
Higher transaction fees
Coinmama’s fees for buying and selling are more expensive than other cryptocurrency exchanges. They charge 3.81% to buy and 3.90% to sell. You can take advantage of their loyalty program, which offers lower rates. The fees go down as you purchase more crypto on the platform.
No crypto wallet
Coinmama does not have a crypto wallet that you can use to store your coins. Coinmama will only send your coins to an external wallet you have. This means you need to set up your own personal wallet to store the cryptocurrencies you buy.
An online wallet can be found easily through third-party providers. Upon purchasing or selling on Coinmama, you simply need to share your wallet address, which is a string of numbers that serve as a “public key” for your wallet.
This is great because Coinmama does not store your funds, or your payment information. This means that your personal information and funds are not available on the site. Just be careful when entering your wallet address to avoid sending your funds to the wrong address. Since transactions on blockchain are irreversible, Coinmama won’t be able to retrieve your funds in case of a mistake.
No crypto-to-crypto transactions
Coinmama doesn’t offer crypto-to-crypto trading, which means you can only use fiat currency such as USD or GBP in order to purchase crypto. Also, it doesn’t allow trades between sellers and buyers. All the cryptocurrencies that are sold by Coinmama come from its inventory. The transaction is between the buyer and seller.
Limited number of cryptocurrencies
The small selection of currencies can be quite limited compared to other exchange platforms that have over 50 currencies. Coinmama does support a variety of major coins, so if you are only interested in bitcoin or ethereum it may not be a problem.
How does Coinmama work?
Coinmama is an intuitive and simple exchange platform.
Once you have set up your account, and been verified, you are able to immediately begin buying and selling. Unlike other exchanges that require you to pre-fund your account, there is no need for you to do so. You will only need to deposit fiat currency first, then buy crypto and then transfer the funds into an external wallet.
You pay only once at the time you purchase. Then Coinmama will send the coins to your wallet.
Click Buy to buy cryptocurrency. There will be options for exchange rates in your local currency. Select the amount you want to purchase then click Buy Now. Enter your payment method and wallet address to complete your transaction. Payment methods include credit card, debit card, Apple Pay, or bank transfer. Your purchases will go directly into your personal wallet within an hour.
To sell, simply select the “sell” option, and then enter the amount that you wish to sell. You can transfer the coins from an external wallet to Coinmama by using a wallet address, or a QR code. Fiat funds from the sale should land in your bank account after a few days. You should note, however, that only Bitcoin is supported and can only be sold in Europe.
Coinmama’s advantage is that it’s non- custodial. It doesn’t hold customer cryptocurrency funds nor store your payment information. You will always have complete control over your funds, making it a safe way to buy and sell cryptocurrency.
Overview of Fees
Like other cryptocurrency exchanges, Coinmama sets their own transaction rates based on an index called TradeBlock XBX which averages the rates of all known providers to track a market rate. This index is used to calculate Coinmama’s rate plus 2%.
Coinmama’s starting fees for buying is 3.81% while for selling is 3.90%. However, the buy or sell fees depend on your loyalty level. Over a rolling 90 day period, you will receive reduced fees when you sell or buy through their loyalty program.
Other fees are commission, credit card fees, and bank transfer fees.
The commission fee is up to 3.81% on crypto purchases and up to 0.9% to sell bitcoin.
Payment fees vary depending on payment method, with an additional 5% for purchases made by credit card, debit card, Google Pay or Apple Pay. Payments made via Fedwire, SEPA, SWIFT, Open Banking, and SWIFT are free. Coinmama Website Down
SWIFT bank transfers (the required method for all transactions from U.S. banks) that are below $1000 are charged 20 British pounds while transfers of $1000 or more are free of charge.
- You’re brand new to cryptocurrency
- You want to be able to easily use fiat currency to purchase crypto, which you can then use to trade on other crypto exchanges
- You want to buy crypto using a debit or credit card
- You are interested in trading with only a handful of currencies, such as bitcoin and ethereum
- You’re located in Europe or the U.K. (where features will not be as limited).
- You want a convenient and simple to use crypto exchange platform
Coinmama’s aim is to provide a quick and easy way to buy and sell cryptocurrency through an easy to use interface and simple transaction flow. This is a great option for those new to crypto trading. Coinmama Website Down
It is a simple, straightforward cryptocurrency exchange platform that allows you to access most of the most widely used currencies in an easy and convenient way. It has higher fees than other providers, however, these fees are reduced the more crypto you buy and sell on the platform.
Coinmama may not be as feature-packed as other cryptocurrency exchange platforms out there, but it offers other advantages such as a convenient debit or credit card payment option, the ability to buy and sell crypto instantly, high spending limits, a loyalty program, and a safe way to buy and sell cryptocurrency.
FAQS Coinmama Website Down
- What is a Cryptocurrency Exchange?
- A cryptocurrency exchange is a service for changing digital currencies, such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, and more, to fiat (paper) currencies or for other digital currencies.
- What is the time it takes for Coinmama, once I have paid, to send my Bitcoins?
- Coinmama sends the coins to your personal wallet within 1 hour after both your payment and wallet address have been confirmed.
- Which payment methods does Coinmama accept?
- You can buy cryptocurrencies at Coinmama with a credit card, debit card or by bank wire transfer.
- Is Coinmama safe?
- Coinmama is non-custodial and therefore safe. This means your funds are sent directly to your personal wallet once you purchase it, and are never held online in your Coinmama account.
- Is Coinmama legitimate?
- Yes. Coinmama is a legitimate and trustworthy cryptocurrency broker that is trusted by over 3,000,000 people across 188 countries since 2013.