Coinmama is a crypto exchange platform that offers a safe and quick way to buy and sell the most popular cryptocurrencies. Founded in 2013, it was the first exchange platform that allowed purchases with a credit card.
It’s perfect for beginners due to its simple and user-friendly interface. It is easy to purchase crypto using fiat currency (paper money), which then goes directly into your personal wallet. This gives you full control over your funds. You will also find attractive features like multiple payment options and high spending limits.
This review will provide a basic overview of Coinmama. Read on to find out if Coinmama is right for you.
Before you go on, you may want to watch this video by Bitcoin Made Easy on YouTube that gives a quick overview. Afterward, you will want to read the rest of our article for a more comprehensive review of Coinmama.
Pros Cryptocurancy Buying Options List Coinmama
- It’s simple and straightforward to use
- offers access to 10 of the most popular cryptocurrencies
- Buy and Sell Cryptocurrency Instantly with Credit and Debit Cards
- Multiple payment options
- high spending limits
- higher transaction fees
- Only 10 cryptocurrencies supported
- No built-in cryptocurrency wallet
- no crypto-to-crypto transactions
What is Coinmama?
Coinmama gives you access to 10 cryptocurrencies, including major and less-known coins. The 10 cryptocurrencies are Bitcoin (BTC), Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Ethereum (ETH), Dogecoin (DOGE), Cardano (ADA), Litecoin (LTC), Ripple (XRP), Tezos (XTZ), Chainlink (LINK), and Uniswap (UNI).
Coinmama lets you buy cryptocurrencies with fiat currency. This money is then sent to your wallet directly. The fiat currencies accepted by Coinmama are USD, EUR, GBP, CAD, AUD, and JPY.
The minimum amount to buy on Coinmama is $30, while the minimum amount to sell is $100.
Buy transaction fees can be as low as 2.38% or as high at 3.83%. Sell transaction fees range from 0.91% up to 1.87%.
Why you should use Coinmama
User-friendly, simple platform
You might feel overwhelmed by complex charts and data on other cryptocurrency exchanges if you are a beginner.
Coinmama makes the process less confusing through an easy to use interface and simple design. Even if you don’t have any experience with crypto, anyone can buy it.
After you have created an account and been verified, it is easy to purchase on the platform. Transactions are processed within days after payment has been made.
Buy and sell crypto instantly
Coinmama offers the quickest way to buy cryptocurrency. Coinmama is different from other cryptocurrency exchanges, which require you to first deposit fiat currency before you can purchase crypto. You can choose the crypto you wish and then pay at checkout just like any other online shopping experience. Once you have received the crypto, it will be sent to your external wallet.
You can simply transfer funds to Coinmama from an external wallet. The funds from the sale are then sent to your bank account. This transaction flow is simple and saves time, making it more convenient for users.
Variety of payment options
You can pay with credit cards, bank transfers, debit cards and Apple Pay. Coinmama is the first cryptocurrency exchange to accept credit and debit cards. This is in contrast to other exchanges that do not support card payments. You can purchase digital currency with any Visa, Mastercard debit or credit card or Apple Pay, SEPA Bank Transfer in Europe, SWIFT within the U.K. or wire transfer (outside Europe and the U.K.).
Coinmama has a loyalty program that allows you to take advantage of lower rates and save money. The more you buy or sell over a rolling 90-day period, the more the fees are reduced. We will talk more about Coinmama fees later, but for now, these are the three loyalty levels.
- Crypto Curious – the initial level for all new users.
- Crypto Enthusiast – a level that you can reach if you have made a minimum of $5 000 USD in cumulative purchases over a rolling 90 day period. The fees for buying transactions have been reduced to 3.34%, while the selling transaction fees have been lowered to 3.41%.
- Crypto Believer – Buying fees have been reduced to 2.86%, and selling fees are now only 2.93% if you have made cumulative purchases of $18 000 USD in a rolling 90-day period or more than $50 000 USD. At this level, you can save 25% on the final price of crypto.
Coinmama allows you to spend up to 30,000 USD at a time, which is higher than other crypto exchanges. Coinmama is different from other platforms. You can have issues buying large amounts of crypto in other platforms but not in Coinmama. Your personal limit increases as you make more purchases on the platform. Your verification level determines your personal limit. These are the verification levels.
- Level 1: Monthly buy or sell limit of $15,000 for 50 or more orders.
- Level 2: Monthly buy or sell limit of $50,000 for 50 or more orders.
- Level 3: The monthly buy-or-sell limit is $100,000 for orders greater than 50
The Downsides of Coinmama
Transaction fees are higher
Compared to other crypto exchanges, Coinmama’s fees are higher at 3.81% for buying and 3.90% for selling. You can take advantage of their loyalty program, which offers lower rates. The fees go down as you purchase more crypto on the platform.
There is no crypto wallet
Coinmama does not have a crypto wallet that you can use to store your coins. Coinmama will simply send coins to an external wallet that you own. To store the cryptocurrencies that you purchase, you will need to create your own wallet.
An online wallet can be found easily through third-party providers. You simply need to share your wallet address with Coinmama when you purchase or sell coins. This is a string of numbers that serves as a “public key” for your wallet.
An upside to this is that it’s a safe way to buy and sell cryptocurrency, since Coinmama doesn’t hold your funds or even your payment information on the platform. This means your funds or personal information aren’t available on the site to be hacked. Just be careful when entering your wallet address to avoid sending your funds to the wrong address. Since transactions on blockchain are irreversible, Coinmama won’t be able to retrieve your funds in case of a mistake.
No crypto-to-crypto transactions
Coinmama does not offer crypto-to-crypto trading. This means that you can only use fiat currencies such as USD and GBP to buy crypto. Also, it doesn’t allow trades between sellers and buyers. All the cryptocurrencies that are sold by Coinmama come from its inventory. The transaction is between the buyer and seller.
Limited number of cryptocurrencies
You may not find as many currencies on Coinmama as you would on other exchange platforms which have more than 50 currencies. Coinmama does support a variety of major coins, so if you are only interested in bitcoin or ethereum it may not be a problem.
How does Coinmama work?
Coinmama is an easy to use, straightforward exchange platform.
Once you have set up your account, and been verified, you are able to immediately begin buying and selling. There is no need to pre-fund your account unlike other exchanges, where you will need to first deposit fiat currency into your account, buy crypto, then transfer the funds to your external wallet.
You pay only once at the time you purchase. Then Coinmama will send the coins to your wallet.
Click Buy to buy cryptocurrency. There will be options for exchange rates in your local currency. Click on the amount that you wish to buy and then click on Buy Now. Enter your payment method and wallet address to complete your transaction. Payment methods include credit card, debit card, Apple Pay, or bank transfer. Within an hour, your purchases will be in your personal wallet.
To sell crypto, simply select the “sell” option and enter the amount you want to sell. Transfer the coins from your external wallet to Coinmama using a wallet address or a QR code. Fiat funds from the sale should land in your bank account after a few days. However, take note that the option to sell crypto is only supported for Bitcoin and only in Europe.
Again, what’s great about Coinmama is that it’s non-custodial, so it never holds customer cryptocurrency funds, nor stores your payment information. It will give you complete control of your funds and make it safe to sell or buy cryptocurrency.
Overview of Fees
Coinmama, like other cryptocurrency exchanges, sets its own transaction rates based upon an index called TradeBlock XBX. This averages all the rates from known providers to track a market price. This index is used to calculate Coinmama’s rate plus 2%.
Coinmama charges a starting fee for buying at 3.81% and 3.90% for selling. The fees for selling or buying depend on your loyalty level. Over a rolling 90 day period, you will receive reduced fees when you sell or buy through their loyalty program.
Other fees include commission, bank transfer fees, and credit card fees.
The commission fee is up to 3.81% on crypto purchases and up to 0.9% to sell bitcoin.
Payment fees vary depending on payment method, with an additional 5% for purchases made by credit card, debit card, Google Pay or Apple Pay. Payments made via Fedwire, SEPA, SWIFT, Open Banking, and SWIFT are free. Cryptocurancy Buying Options List Coinmama
SWIFT bank transfers (the required method for all transactions from U.S. banks) that are below $1000 are charged 20 British pounds while transfers of $1000 or more are free of charge.
- You’re new to cryptocurrency
- You want to be able to easily use fiat currency to purchase crypto, which you can then use to trade on other crypto exchanges
- You want to buy crypto using a debit or credit card
- You are interested in trading with only a handful of currencies, such as bitcoin and ethereum
- You’re based in Europe or the U.K. (where features won’t be as limited)
- You want a convenient and simple to use crypto exchange platform
Coinmama’s aim is to provide a quick and easy way to buy and sell cryptocurrency through an easy to use interface and simple transaction flow. This is a great option for those new to crypto trading. Cryptocurancy Buying Options List Coinmama
It’s a no-fuss, basic cryptocurrency exchange platform that lets you access the most popular currencies in a convenient and simple way. It has higher fees than other providers, however, these fees are reduced the more crypto you buy and sell on the platform.
Although Coinmama is not as feature-rich as other cryptocurrency exchanges, it does offer other benefits such as the convenience of debit or credit card payments, the ability to instantly buy and trade crypto, high spending limits and loyalty programs, as well as the safe and secure way to buy and sell cryptocurrency.
FAQ Cryptocurancy Buying Options List Coinmama
- What is a Cryptocurrency Exchange?
- A cryptocurrency exchange is a service for changing digital currencies, such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, and more, to fiat (paper) currencies or for other digital currencies.
- How long does it take for Coinmama to send my bitcoins once I’ve paid?
- Coinmama will send the coins to your wallet within one hour of your payment and wallet address being confirmed.
- Which payment methods does Coinmama accept?
- You can buy cryptocurrencies at Coinmama with a credit card, debit card or by bank wire transfer.
- Is Coinmama safe?
- Coinmama is non-custodial and therefore safe. Your funds are immediately sent to your personal wallet after you have purchased it. They are never stored online in your Coinmama accounts.
- Is Coinmama legitimate?
- Yes. Coinmama is a trusted and legitimate cryptocurrency broker. It has been trusted by more than 3,000,000 people in 188 countries since 2013.