Coinmama, a cryptocurrency exchange platform, offers a fast and safe way to purchase and sell most of the most popular cryptos. Founded in 2013, it was the first exchange platform that allowed purchases with a credit card.
Because of its easy-to-use interface, it’s great for beginners. You can easily purchase crypto using fiat (paper) currency, which then goes directly to your personal wallet, allowing you complete control over your funds. Other attractive features are the multiple payment options, high spending limits, loyalty program, and more.
This review will provide a basic overview of Coinmama. Read on to find out if Coinmama is right for you.
Before you go on, you may want to watch this video by Bitcoin Made Easy on YouTube that gives a quick overview. Afterward, you will want to read the rest of the article for a more comprehensive review of Coinmama.
Pros Metamask And Coinmama
- It’s simple and straightforward to use
- offers access to 10 of the most popular cryptocurrencies
- Buy and Sell Cryptocurrency Instantly with Credit and Debit Cards
- variety of payment options
- high spending limits
- Higher transaction fees
- Only 10 cryptocurrencies supported
- No built-in cryptocurrency wallet
- no crypto-to-crypto transactions
What is Coinmama?
Coinmama offers access to 10 cryptocurrencies that include major coins as well as less common ones. The 10 cryptocurrencies are Bitcoin (BTC), Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Ethereum (ETH), Dogecoin (DOGE), Cardano (ADA), Litecoin (LTC), Ripple (XRP), Tezos (XTZ), Chainlink (LINK), and Uniswap (UNI).
Coinmama allows you to buy cryptocurrencies using fiat currency, which is sent directly to your personal wallet. Coinmama accepts USD, EUR, GBP, CAD, AUD, and JPY as fiat currencies.
The minimum amount to buy on Coinmama is $30, while the minimum amount to sell is $100.
Fees for buy transactions can range from 2.38% to 3.83%, while sell transaction fees generally range from 0.91% to 1.87%.
Why you should use Coinmama
Simple, user-friendly platform
You might feel overwhelmed by complex charts and data on other cryptocurrency exchanges if you are a beginner.
Coinmama makes the process less confusing through an easy to use interface and simple design. Anyone can start buying crypto even without experience or a lot of knowledge about the different currencies.
Once you set up an account and get verified, purchasing on the platform is a pretty straightforward process. After payment is made, transactions are settled within a couple of days.
Buy and sell crypto instantly
Coinmama offers the quickest way to buy cryptocurrency. Coinmama is different from other cryptocurrency exchanges, which require you to first deposit fiat currency before you can purchase crypto. You can choose the crypto you wish and then pay at checkout just like any other online shopping experience. Once you have received the crypto, it will be sent to your external wallet.
When selling crypto, you simply transfer funds from your external wallet to Coinmama, then the funds from the sale are sent directly to your bank account. This simple transaction flow saves time and is more convenient for the user.
Variety of payment options
You can pay with credit cards, bank transfers, debit cards and Apple Pay. Coinmama is the first cryptocurrency exchange to accept credit and debit cards. This is in contrast to other exchanges that do not support card payments. You can purchase digital currency with any Visa, Mastercard debit or credit card or Apple Pay, SEPA Bank Transfer in Europe, SWIFT within the U.K. or wire transfer (outside Europe and the U.K.).
Coinmama offers a loyalty program where you can take advantage of reduced rates and save money. The more you buy or sell over a rolling 90-day period, the more the fees are reduced. We’ll talk more about Coinmama’s fees in the later on, so for now, here are the three loyalty levels:
- Crypto Curious – the initial level for all new users.
- Crypto Enthusiast – you reach this level when you’ve made a minimum cumulative purchase amount of $5 000 USD over a rolling 90-day period. Fees for buy transactions are reduced to 3.34% and selling transaction fees are now 3.41%.
- Crypto Believer – Buying fees have been reduced to 2.86%, and selling fees are now only 2.93% if you have made cumulative purchases of $18 000 USD in a rolling 90-day period or more than $50 000 USD. This level will allow you to save 25% on the final cost of crypto.
Coinmama lets you spend up to 30,000 dollars at once, which is more than any other cryptocurrency exchanges. Coinmama is different from other platforms. You can have issues buying large amounts of crypto in other platforms but not in Coinmama. Your personal limit increases as you make more purchases on the platform. Your verification level determines your personal limit. These are the verification levels.
- Level 1: Monthly buy or sell limit of $15,000 for 50 or more orders.
- Level 2: Monthly buy or sell limit is $50,000 over 50 orders.
- Level 3: Monthly buy or sell limit is $100,000 over 50 orders.
The Downsides of Coinmama
Higher transaction fees
Compared to other crypto exchanges, Coinmama’s fees are higher at 3.81% for buying and 3.90% for selling. You can take advantage of their loyalty program, which offers lower rates. As you buy more crypto on the platform, your fees will decrease.
There is no crypto wallet
Coinmama does not have a crypto wallet that you can use to store your coins. Coinmama will only send your coins to an external wallet you have. This means you need to set up your own personal wallet to store the cryptocurrencies you buy.
An online wallet can be found easily through third-party providers. You simply need to share your wallet address with Coinmama when you purchase or sell coins. This is a string of numbers that serves as a “public key” for your wallet.
This is great because Coinmama does not store your funds, or your payment information. This means that your personal information and funds are not available on the site. To avoid having your funds sent to the wrong address, be sure to enter your wallet address carefully. Coinmama can’t retrieve funds if you make a mistake because transactions on blockchain are irreversible.
There are no crypto-to-crypto transactions
Coinmama does not offer crypto-to-crypto trading. This means that you can only use fiat currencies such as USD and GBP to buy crypto. It also doesn’t facilitate trades between buyers and sellers. All the cryptocurrencies that are sold by Coinmama come from its inventory. The transaction is between the buyer and seller.
There are only a few cryptocurrencies
You may not find as many currencies on Coinmama as you would on other exchange platforms which have more than 50 currencies. Coinmama does support a variety of major coins, so if you are only interested in bitcoin or ethereum it may not be a problem.
What does Coinmama do?
Coinmama is an intuitive and simple exchange platform.
After setting up your account and getting verified, you can immediately start buying and selling. Unlike other exchanges that require you to pre-fund your account, there is no need for you to do so. You will only need to deposit fiat currency first, then buy crypto and then transfer the funds into an external wallet.
Here, you make your payment only at the time of purchase, then Coinmama sends the coins directly to your wallet.
To buy cryptocurrency, simply click Buy and select the coin you want to purchase. You will see options with exchange rates listed in your local currency. Select the amount you want to purchase then click Buy Now. To complete your transaction, enter your payment method. Payment methods include credit card, debit card, Apple Pay, or bank transfer. Your purchases will go directly into your personal wallet within an hour.
To sell, simply select the “sell” option, and then enter the amount that you wish to sell. You can transfer the coins from an external wallet to Coinmama by using a wallet address, or a QR code. After a few days, the fiat money from the sale should be in your bank account. You should note, however, that only Bitcoin is supported and can only be sold in Europe.
Again, what’s great about Coinmama is that it’s non-custodial, so it never holds customer cryptocurrency funds, nor stores your payment information. You will always have complete control over your funds, making it a safe way to buy and sell cryptocurrency.
Overview of Fees
Like other cryptocurrency exchanges, Coinmama sets their own transaction rates based on an index called TradeBlock XBX which averages the rates of all known providers to track a market rate. This index is used to calculate Coinmama’s rate plus 2%.
Coinmama’s starting fees for buying is 3.81% while for selling is 3.90%. However, the buy or sell fees depend on your loyalty level. Over a rolling 90 day period, you will receive reduced fees when you sell or buy through their loyalty program.
Other fees are commission, credit card fees, and bank transfer fees.
For crypto purchases, the commission fee can be up to 3.81% and up to 0.9% for bitcoin sales.
There are different payment fees depending on the method used to make purchases. For example, purchases made with a credit card, debit card, Google Pay, or Apple Pay will incur an additional 5%. Payments made through Fedwire, SEPA, SWIFT, Open Banking are free of charge. Metamask And Coinmama
Transfers to SWIFT banks (the required method for all transactions from U.S. Banks) below $1000 incur 20 British Pounds, while those above $1000 are free.
- You’re new to cryptocurrency
- You want to be able to easily use fiat currency to purchase crypto, which you can then use to trade on other crypto exchanges
- You want to purchase crypto with a credit or debit card
- You are interested in trading with only a handful of currencies, such as bitcoin and ethereum
- You’re located in Europe or the U.K. (where features will not be as limited).
- You want a convenient and simple to use crypto exchange platform
Coinmama’s aim is to provide a quick and easy way to buy and sell cryptocurrency through an easy to use interface and simple transaction flow. This can be attractive to those who are new to the world of crypto trading. Metamask And Coinmama
It’s a no-fuss, basic cryptocurrency exchange platform that lets you access the most popular currencies in a convenient and simple way. It has higher fees than other providers, however, these fees are reduced the more crypto you buy and sell on the platform.
Coinmama may not be as feature-packed as other cryptocurrency exchange platforms out there, but it offers other advantages such as a convenient debit or credit card payment option, the ability to buy and sell crypto instantly, high spending limits, a loyalty program, and a safe way to buy and sell cryptocurrency.
FAQ Metamask And Coinmama
- What is a Cryptocurrency exchange?
- A cryptocurrency exchange allows you to convert digital currencies such as Bitcoin, Ethereum and other currencies to fiat (paper) currency or any other digital currency.
- How long does it take for Coinmama to send my bitcoins once I’ve paid?
- Coinmama sends the coins to your personal wallet within 1 hour after both your payment and wallet address have been confirmed.
- What methods of payment does Coinmama offer?
- You can buy cryptocurrencies at Coinmama with a credit card, debit card or by bank wire transfer.
- Is Coinmama safe?
- Coinmama is non-custodial and therefore safe. Your funds are immediately sent to your personal wallet after you have purchased it. They are never stored online in your Coinmama accounts.
- Is Coinmama legitimate?
- Yes. Coinmama is a legitimate and trustworthy cryptocurrency broker that is trusted by over 3,000,000 people across 188 countries since 2013.